Image of Healthwatch Liverpool Help with NHS complaints logo

Although most people using the health service are happy with their care and treatment, things can sometimes go wrong. If you're not satisfied with the service you've experienced from a hospital, doctor, dentist, local surgery or other NHS provider, you are entitled to complain about it.

We can help you make this complaint, by providing a free, confidential and independent service designed to help you understand your rights and make informed choices.

We can help you to:

  • explore the options available at every stage of the complaints procedure
  • provide confidential support from someone who is independent of the NHS
  • write effective letters to the right people
  • prepare for meetings and maybe even go with you
  • contact and speak to third parties if required

For more information, or to discuss your NHS complaint, get in touch.

Resources to help you make a complaint

We know that making a complaint about NHS or social care services can be confusing. With that in mind, we have created a 'Self help information pack' to guide you through the process.

Healthwatch Liverpool Self Help Information Pack
Large Print Healthwatch Liverpool Self Help Information Pack

Adult social care complaints

Our NHS Complaints Advocacy service can't help you with complaints about adult social care services.

However, Healthwatch have teamed up with Citzens Advice to create practical help you can use to make a complaint about adult social care services, including flowcharts, helpful tips and sample letters.

Find out more